a dollar sign is the cheesiest

Friday, May 7, 2010

Parchment and Quill


You don't write because you want to say something, you write because
you've got something to say.” – Scott Fritzgerald

Discovering our possibilities is one of life’s greatest challenges. And I’m glad I have discovered a lot of things I can never even imagine that I could. And one of these is writing.Writing is the process of shaping experiences into ext. It allows the writer to develop, clarify, discover and communicate thoughts and ideas. It requires great deal of knowledge, thinking skills, creativity and even experiences. It is a product of wild imagination.

“Only those things are beautiful which are inspired by madness and written
by reason.” –Andre Gide

When I was in grade school, I refused an offer to write for our school newspaper because I thought that writing is not for me. In high school, I never had the guts to join and I didn’t have time for it. And in college, I felt an urge to join trade wings (our college organ) and experience something new. So, I responded to the call.

“My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and
simplest way.”- Ernest Hemmingway

“Unleash the writer in you” our Editor in Chief once said. He believed that “only few respond to the call and walk the way of the quill. Because only few, find the urge to express and the passion to write”. Putting my thoughts into writing has been my job. And I’d like to share what I’ve discovered in 2 semesters just in writing.

“Poets need not go to Niagara to write about the force of falling water.”
-Robert Frost

When I entered the trade wings, I don’t have an idea how writers really work. I just had this feeling that I will learn everything in no time. But I was wrong. Their world was something like Hogwarts in he far north or a kingdom in a far far away land. It is a place where things that doesn’t exist, exists. I might sound exaggerating but try to observe things around you. And you will notice the products of writing. In films like Charlie’s Angels, who can ever forget Charlie Townsend? A character that existed as a powerful man but can only is identified by a “voice box”. In novels, who would ever imagine and create crazy things like Narnia behind a closet, a ring that created chaos in the middle earth, and platform 9 ¾ existing between platform 9 and 10 in London? They are the famous authors C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and J. K. Rowling.and in music, I’m sure you will agree that life is dull without it. And it is one of the most wonderful creations of writing.

One good thing about being a writer is that you don’t have to get in London and look for platform 9 ¾ to or travel that far to get in a far far away kingdom, to become a writer. All you need is a parchment and quill.

“Our admiration of fine writing will always be in proportion to its real
difficulty and its apparent ease.” -Charles Caleb Colton

A writer always stands for what he believes in. He is very careful in discerning his thoughts. For once his words are written, He can never get them back. Mark Twain even said that “Most writers regard truth as their most valuable possession, and therefore are most economical in its use.” He must be willing to learn. Because good writing is achieve through learning.

When he writes, he always writes for himself and others. Because in communicating thoughts and ideas, this will have an impact to whoever who reads it. Joseph Pulitzer even said that “Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so
they will remember it, and above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light. It is very important to have an impact on your readers because. It will be the only way to know if they appreciated what you wrote. Reading is one of his greatest tools in writing. When he writes, he explores the world inside-out and corner to corner, because he will need great deal knowledge in writing. These characteristics I have cited are only few from what others really know. I am still bound to discover a lot of things along my way.

Why write? Every writer has their own reason for writing. Some doesn’t even have reasons why they write. Some haven’t found the answers. And these are few things I learned from my fellow writers some write for the simple reason that they wanted to inform. Some write to shout out to the world everything that they feel. Some lessen their burdens through writing.

“When writing I am half asleep exploring the world”-Krizzy Gayle Martinez

I write because I know it is one of the things that gave me reason to discover 100% of myself and the world. It satisfies the hunger in me. It is my path way through the barriers of the impossible. Time vanishes when I write. I don’t feel any pain working with my parchment and quill. I write because I’m in love with reading. One is essential with the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment